My boss laptop Dell 5460 coming with OEM Windows 8 got hard disk with bad sector.
Windows always freeze and she never created image,never did Dell backup nor did Windows backup and the worst thing she ask me to repair her laptop.
First I check the HDD laptop model is Seagate Momentus Thin 500GB so I asked her to bought new HDD with same model.
Clone HDD with bad sector to new HDD using Clonezilla
Both HDD are same model so you must remember defective HDD serial number and new HDD serial number.
1) Download Clonezilla from here I’m using alternative stable releases – 20150608-vivid (Ubuntu based).
2) Burn Clonezilla to a CD or create a bootable usb flashdrive for Clonezilla.
I create a bootable usb flashdrive for Clonezilla using YUMI multiboot,you can download here
Hardware Preparations(I use a PC to do drive to drive clone):
1) Unplug defective HDD from laptop
2) Plug defective HDD to PC
3) Plug new HDD to PC
1) Boot PC from Clonezilla
2) Choose Clonezilla live
3) Choose language en_US.UTF-8 English
4) Choose Don’t touch keymap
5) Choose Start Clonezilla
6) Choose device-device
7) Choose Expert
8) Choose disk_to_local_disk
9) Choose source disk (Note: in this case I choose the defective HDD,don’t worry Clonezilla will show HDD model with serial number)
10) Choose target disk (Note: in this case I choose the new HDD)
10) Mark * option -rescue,other options are default/don’t touch anything.
11) Choose Skip checking/repairing source file system.
12) Choose Use partition table from the source disk.
13) Press “Enter” to continue…
14) Press “y” if asking Are you sure you want to continue ? (y/n)
15) Cloning process
-If your HDD had bad sector you will found this messages when cloning (WARNING: Can’t read sector at 10324625280, lost data) and you will think the clone process is stuck,but try to be patient because actually Clonezilla still working on it.
-in my case cloning process took around 16 hours,so try to be patient.
16) Cloning done -> Choose poweroff
After cloning process done:
1) Plug new HDD to laptop.
2) Boot into Windows.
3) Search cmd and Run as administrator.
4) Do check disk type chkdsk /r /f /x or chkdsk /B in command prompt.
5) Restart laptop,it will boot then do disk repair.
6) After repairing disk done you can boot into Windows normally and work with your data again.
Thanks Clonezilla ^_^